The data submitted on this site was collected over many months but does not claim to be 100% accurate. Quick Stats (quickstatsiowa.com) was the primary source for collecting results going back to 2006. Results 1906-2005 were found by searching a variety of sources, among them: newpaperarchives.com, drake.edu/relays, desmoinesregister.newspapers.com and roll after roll of Waterloo/Cedar Falls Courier microfilm at the Waterloo library. Historically, The Courier has given high school track & field good coverage for many meets (Dickinson Relays, Cole Collinge Relays, Drake Relays, etc.) but not every meet makes the newspaper. In addition, there are many cases where a meet was covered but only the winning times were published. Freshman results from 1994-2005 were particularly difficult to find as Junior Varsity results do not generally make the newspaper. Early records were also scarce, but so were the track meets. Here are a few notes:
- The first high school track meet in Cedar Falls was held May 4, 1906.
- The track season in the early years was about 4 weeks from first practice to final meet and consisted of only 2 to 3 meets.
- No results could be found for the years 1907, 1908, 1909, 1912, or 1913.
- The school and athletes opted not to participate in track in 1911 so the coaches and athletes could concentrate on baseball.
- 1927 was the first year Cedar Falls entered into the annual State Meet. That team entered 6 events resulting in 3 runner-up finishes and finished 4th overall as a team.
- Participation spiked in 1936 when track and field was elevated to a ‘major’ sport at CFHS. The season was expanded and letters were awarded to top performers for the first time.
- The first state championship in a track event for CF came from Al Robinette in the 1958 high jump.
- The first relay team to win a state championship was the 1974 2-mile relay team of Brian Bigelow, Dale Doyle, Brian Cook and Steve Pershing.
If you have any information, photos or videos that could be added, please feel free to get in touch by e-mail and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks!
-Brian O’Hair – I Corinthians 9:26